Sunday, January 20, 2008

Imposing

Living so close to the in-laws, it's quickly becoming a tradition that we visit them for lunch on the weekends. Which also means that they have to plan around my gluten-free diet; for Scooter they just keep around the makings of grilled cheese sandwiches and gf cookies, so he's always fine when we visit. I am not entirely comfortable pushing my food limitations on others, but my mother-in-law has managed quite well in providing delicious meals. Sometimes she has to rethink her initial plan, i.e. roasted chicken instead of fried or setting aside my portion of chili before baking it with biscuits on top, but she always comes up with a workable solution. This week, she even found a variation on a chocolate pie without flour and found a gf pie crust at the grocery store.

Next month, Trillian and I are hoping to go to a nice restaurant for our anniversary. This involves a whole other level of dealing with my food limitations, as I will need to start calling around soon so that I can determine if any of the restaurants my in-laws have suggested can accommodate my requirements. A couple of the restaurants mention that they serve a specific type of ice cream with their desserts, so I've already checked to make sure I can eat those--yeah dessert, at least I can have the most important part of the meal!

It has been fairly easy for me to adapt my cooking at home, but there's a whole wide world out there, and I won't always be able to retreat to my own kitchen when I need to eat. As Trillian pointed out to me earlier today as we discussed some travel plans, we're going to have to figure out how to negotiate dining while away from home for days at a time. I have some ideas, but will have to flesh those out as we get closer to an actual trip.

No comments: