Monday, January 14, 2008

A yummy take on spinach

Long, long ago, back in our restaurant-going days, Trillian and I frequented a tapas place. They had a whole range of amazing dishes, but one I got almost every time I went was spinach with apples, raisins, and pine nuts.

I decided to try my hand at a home version of the dish and was happy with the results. Here's what I did:
  1. Roughly chopped 1 apple--Gala since that's what we have in the house.
  2. Chop up some garlic. I only used one largish clove since I was looking more for the aroma than the taste.
  3. Heat up some olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and apple. Through in some pine nuts; I used a bag that claimed to be a half cup. Be sure not to burn the garlic.
  4. Once you've browned everything a little, throw in the spinach. I used a 1-pound bag of frozen, chopped spinach. Add some salt to taste.
  5. Stir occasionally until heated through.
I paired this with a piece of the salmon left over from last night. It was a satisfying and healthy lunch.

I did miss the presence of the raisins and would suggest that most people would want to throw in about a half cup or so. I seem to have developed a sensitivity to some aspect of some grapes, so I'm avoiding them. Next time I make this dish, I will probably throw in some dried cranberries or cherries or apricots--something to capture the sweet tang and texture of the original dish.

No comments: