Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sweet without the sin

Besides my attempts to get gluten out of my diet, I have also been trying to lose a little weight. But gluten-free has not meant a lack of sweets, so I've been snacking way too much. This week I'm trying to be more aware of when and what I'm eating--not just grabbing a meringue as I go by because it's on the gf list.

So tonight I decided to address my craving for sweets with something plenty sweet, but healthy and relatively low in calories. I started from a recipe for pears with nuts and raisins, but quickly went my own way:

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a baking dish with oil (I used olive since that's what's in my Misto).
  2. Core and slice one apple and one pear.
  3. Spread fruit slices in baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon (as much as you want) and some pine nuts.
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes until fruit is warm and getting soft.
I allowed myself to eat the whole pan--only two pieces of fruit, so it's not like it was all that much. One of the times I'm glad Trillian isn't big on fruit.

No comments: